If you own vehicles in excess of 3.5 tonnes gross vehicle weight (GVW) then our Commercial Vehicle policy is probably for you. It also covers any “Special Types” such as electrically driven vehicles designed for the carriage of goods for business purposes, regardless of GVW. (eg a Milk float). Cover is provided for business use only – carriage of your own goods, carriage other than for hire and reward or carriage for hire and reward. We base the premium on the GVW, use of the vehicle, where it is kept and it’s value.
What types of vehicle can be covered?
The types of vehicle that can be covered under our Commercial Vehicle policy include:
- Any goods vehicle above 3.5 tonnes GVW.
- Any electrically driven vehicle used for the carriage of goods for business.
- Trailers used with such vehicles.
- Self-propelled vehicles that have plant permanently attached.
- Self-propelled vehicles that perform a specialised function.
In the case of "Special Types", specific examples include:
|Backhoe Loaders||Livestock Carrying Vehicles|
|Concrete Truck Mixer||Mobile Plant ie. self-propelled vehicles with plant permanently attached not specially mentioned|
|Cranes Mobile (rubber tyred)||Mobile Shops, Canteens and Surgeries|
|Cranes Site (tracked)||Mobile Work Platforms|
|Delivery Trucks - Pedestrian Controlled||Road Planing Machines|
|Dumpers - up to 3.8 cu metres capacity||Road Paving Machines|
|Dump Trucks & Dumpers over 3.8 cu metres||Road Rollers|
|Dust Carts||Road Sweepers|
|Electric Driven Goods Vehicles - constructed for road use||Scrapers|
|Electric Trolleys||Showmens Caravans|
|Excavators - tracked or rubber tyred||Snow Ploughs|
|Fire Brigade Vehicles except Private Cars, Goods Carrying Vehicles and Motor Cycles||Spraying Plant other than agricultural sprayers|
|Footpath Rollers||Straddle Carriers|
|Fork Lift Trucks||Tankers|
|Graders||Tar or Bitumen Sprayers|
|Gritting Machines||Three Wheeled Carriers not constructed for general road use|
|Gully Emptiers||Three Wheeled Carriers constructed for general road use|
|Hearses||Tractor Shovels (tracked or rubber tyred)|
|Horse Boxes||Trolleys and Good Carrying Tractors not constructed for road use|
What cover is available?
As with most vehicles used on and off the road, we offer the usual cover options, but with the policy tailored to reflect the nature of commercial and “special type” vehicles. The options are:
- Third Party only – the legal minimum cover for driving on the roads.
- Third Party, Fire & Theft – includes Third Party cover and cover for loss or damage to your vehicle arising from fire or theft.
- Comprehensive – includes Third Party cover and cover for any accidental damage to, or theft of your vehicle.
The Benefits of Tower Insurance Commercial Vehicles cover:
- A policy designed and priced specifically for Isle of Man businesses.
- Local customer service teams for you and your broker.
- A locally based claims team, for when you need us most.